Headlines from NPR Online for Friday, December 1, 2017
5 Ways Congressional Tax Legislation Would Transform Health Care
Here are five ways the tax legislation could change health policy:
- Repeal the requirement for most people to have health insurance or pay a tax penalty
- Repeal the medical expense deduction
- Trigger major cuts to the Medicare program
- Change tax treatment for graduate students and those paying back student loans
- Change or eliminate the tax credit that encourages pharmaceutical companies to develop drugs for rare diseases
Readings from Proverbs for Friday, December 1, 2017
The book of Proverbs is full of great wisdom. The verse below is one of the most important teachings in the entire book.
How can you guard your heart? One of the church fathers pointed out that when we get a small particle of dust in our eye, we stop everything we are doing and promptly remove it.
When we guard our hearts, we do the same thing. We pay attention to what thoughts enter the heart. Another church father said, “We can’t keep thoughts from flying over our heads, but we don’t have to build an airport for them.”
Proverbs 4.23 – Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Prayers for Friday, December 1, 2017
Dear God, we guard our hearts today through watchfulness and prayer.